I hope my child looks back on today, and remembers a Mum who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking, but children grow up when we are not looking
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, cause babies grow fast, much to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep
(Song for a Fifth Child)

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pack your passport...

Because we're moving! Ok, so a passport isn't really necessary, unless your the cashier at CVS with whom I had this conversation as I put four L.A. Times on the belt and prepared to pay:

Cashier:  What's with all the papers? Are you in this or something?

Me:  No, just moving. We need paper for breakables.

Cashier:  Are you moving locally?

Me: No, across the country.

Cashier: What country?

Ummmm, the one we currently live in?! I probably stared at her, dumbfounded, for a good 30 seconds before I realized that I actually needed to utter the words "The United States".

My excited face
In hindsight I realized leaving SoCal is a lot like moving out of the country. It's a bubble of sorts and let's be honest, CA does have a  GDP bigger than most countries. California, however, will hold a special place for us. I've spent nearly half of my life here as a Los Angeles native; my kids and I were even born at the same hospital. It is a bittersweet move as we say goodbye to some wonderful friends whom I love dearly, my awesome job and our picture perfect weather...ok, that's a lie. I'll only miss CA weather when it's sub zero in the midwest. Call me crazy, but I'm looking forward to seasons. 

Are you up to the challenge mom?

But we have a lot to gain by heading east with family, much more living space and my dream job to be a stay-at-home-mom. It's not a "career" that many would chose and I'd be lying if  I said I wasn't nervous.  I know Lady Bug's excited for sure! June Bug, well I think he's uncertain about my stay-at-home-mom abilities. He's spent the last few weeks putting me to the test and sizing me up...

I'm fairly confident June Bug is looking forward to giving me a run for my money and possibly driving me back to work! Here's proof that he's literally a kid on the run!


1 comment: