I hope my child looks back on today, and remembers a Mum who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking, but children grow up when we are not looking
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, cause babies grow fast, much to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep
(Song for a Fifth Child)

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Memory

A day in which she remembers sleep is good!
Infant Memory
I'm convinced infants are hard-wired to forget how to do something pretty much as soon as they do it.

Case and point:  I watched Lady Bug log-roll the entire length of her crib at 3:30 this morning. Her last roll landed her on her belly, where she proceeded to scream because she couldn't remember how to roll back onto her back, despite the 3 previous times she did it. And I swear sleeping is her favorite thing to forget how to do, but that's a whole post on its own.

Patiently driving? Probably  not.

Toddler Memory

A toddler doesn't.forget.anything.

It's almost painful some of the things June Bug will whip out at an inappropriate moment.  The most recent gem occurred while riding in the shopping cart at a very busy Costco. While I waited for some man to move his cart out of the way, my toddler not-so-patiently-and-very-loudly yelled:  BEEP BEEP!!! MOVE!!! 
I may or may not be slightly impatient when I drive. 

Parental Memory
It's lost somewhere between sleepless nights and jam packed nap-less days. My memory is so terrible I actually had this conversation:

Mama Bug:  (to a friend) Congrats on the new job!! I used to work for that school district. It's always crazy to me when people out here take jobs in the midwest, such a small world! When do you move?  You're just going to love the midwest!  (I seriously went on for a good 90 seconds).

Friend:  (stares at me blankly)  Move?? Why would I move?

Mama Bug:  Oh, right, I don't live in Southern California anymore do I? Not such a coincidence anymore.

Who the hell forgets a 2000 mile move?? Much less one that involved two kids, two cats, two cars and enough stuff to fill an Ikea??


No comments:

Post a Comment