I hope my child looks back on today, and remembers a Mum who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking, but children grow up when we are not looking
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, cause babies grow fast, much to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep
(Song for a Fifth Child)

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wild Child

I've been relatively lucky that June Bug-- albeit "very two"-- is for the most part well behaved. Until today.  He might as well have chanted "liar liar pants on fire" while he raced around Old Navy. I mean raced. Full speed around tables of clothing and garment racks cackling like this was the best game ever; only egged on by his sister who laughed at his every defiant move, undermining every parenting tactic I tried. I was that parent today.  The one you look at and shake your head sadly wondering why this mom can't control her child.

Figures that June Bug's Halloween costume would be "King of the Wild Things" or Max, from my most favorite childhood book ever, Where the Wild Things Are. We read it at least 4 times a day, though in Spanish because some how I do not own the book in English. But I have made sure to teach him the best line ever written in a children's book. His costume is still in progress. So you get a video narrated by June Bug and a visual of Lady Bug in a most appropriately wonderful hand-me-down. Now if only my little wild thing would learn how to tame his own behavior...

(I'll eat you up, I love you so)

No comments:

Post a Comment