I hope my child looks back on today, and remembers a Mum who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking, but children grow up when we are not looking
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, cause babies grow fast, much to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep
(Song for a Fifth Child)

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bedtime Battles

Somehow ::knock on every piece of wood in site:: I feel like I've always had the upper hand in this war. Which is a huge feat considering I'm not just dealing with an infant plotting new ways to avoid his bedtime but also an overly-dedicated-saxophone-playing neighbor, ie. every single night for at least an hour.  On day 10 as neighbors, it was charming.  By day 372 I can tell this:

1. My child will never ever play the saxophone
2. I may or may not be teaching June Bug how to use super-glue and tennis balls to plug said sax.

As devoted as my jazz-loving neighbor, June Bug is intent on finding new ways to avoid bedtime and he's quite good at it.  From rolling over, sitting up, crawling, standing up, teething and cruising, he's tried it all but I was still winning. Until this week.

June Bug pulled out all the stops and decided to start playing dirty: he decided he loved giving hugs and snuggling on the rocker.

::sigh:: how I can resist? So amisdt the tears and tantrums of an anti-bedtime fit the little arms fly up and wrap around my neck. So I cave, pull him from the crib and we snuggle and rock and he'll flash that coy little smile that says, "I win."

No my son, I win, as long as you want to curl up and snuggle with your mama, I can't lose.

Baby Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment