I hope my child looks back on today, and remembers a Mum who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking, but children grow up when we are not looking
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, cause babies grow fast, much to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep
(Song for a Fifth Child)

Friday, April 15, 2011

Facing Reality

I am a perfectionist to the core. When I do something I must  do the absolutely best job no matter the time, energy or worse the stress.

I would like to meet the person who created the image of the woman in a pristine white dress rocking her newborn on a shaded front porch of a perfect house. Perhaps I don't know the right mommy-friends, but I most certainly didn't look quite so put together in the first weeks postpartum. I looked like hell, sleep deprived, disheveled hair and hardly at peace.  Ten months later, I still don't look all that put together. I'm learning to be OK with that. If there's one thing motherhood is teaching me, it's that perfection is loving the imperfections not lying about them and learning to not take myself so seriously.

There was a lot of irony when I started this blog since I hate to write, especially in English but that's another post. Blogging reminds to enjoy the daily challenges. To laugh when I want to cry, to hug when I want to run.  To enjoy the moment and stop. For once in my life to stop running myself ragged and take in the moment.

This post on beating my perfectionist attitude is really so I can share this post by Single Dad Laughing.  Not the most uplifting Friday post, but I know I'm not the only one who feels the pressure of "perfect".

Luckily I have a little June Bug who reminds me that he thinks I'm perfectly imperfect the way I am. I used to crop myself out of unflattering photos, but here's me, Mama Bug, in all my unwashed hair, tired dishelved glory, feeling beautiful as ever with all the June Bug love.

2 comments:

  1. I always wondered why you would crop yourself out, now it all makes sense. To the outside world, you're one of the most beautiful moms and your continued devotion to your family is inspiring. Thanks for sharing, Mama Bug =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mychela, I am proud of you. Getting over our perfectionist tendencies is one big challenge but worth every penny. You now know what really matters and that is your family. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete