I hope my child looks back on today, and remembers a Mum who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking, but children grow up when we are not looking
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, cause babies grow fast, much to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep
(Song for a Fifth Child)

Monday, May 16, 2011

Danger Zone

Arched back, suddenly limp 20 pounds of dead weight, flailing fists and sharp shriek...  I thought tantrums came with toddler-hood. I am wrong. Very wrong. 

Um, no, sticking your fingers and other objects into the now-unprotected-outlet because you-pried-off-the-cover is not a good idea on many levels, electric shortage, fire hazard oh and might I add: your personal safety. Most of our tantrums involve me attempting to ward off a dangerous situation resulting in a very frustrated June Bug.

You have lots of toys, LOTS of toys.  Why the power cords, the toilet, the not-anchored-down nightstand?  Your book shelf and toy bin are colorful and inviting and SAFE. The nightstand is old, dusty and might I add dangerous!!

There's all this preaching that you shouldn't use the word "no" too much at an early age and you should use the words that corresponds with why they shouldn't be doing what their doing, ie. dangerous, heavy, sharp.... I'm 100% sure all June Bug hears is:  blah blah blah blah blah as he carries on with the dangerous activity of the day. He doesn't care which word I chose to use.

I don't have any tantrum photos, it's not really worth risking his life for a good shot. So here's the complete opposite. June Bug playing nicely. You'll notice it's a short video...

No comments:

Post a Comment