I hope my child looks back on today, and remembers a Mum who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking, but children grow up when we are not looking
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, cause babies grow fast, much to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep
(Song for a Fifth Child)

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mr. Moo & dinner for two

Well, really for 3 (4 if you want to count Mr. Moo, June Bug's guest.)

Two months ago I would have clutched my pearls in horror had you told me I'd allow my 8 1/2 month child to feed himself avocado slices pulled off a burger. When it came to starting solids, I was OCD, by the book, crazy, one-of-those moms.

We dutifully followed the pediatrician and waited until after June Bug's 6 month check-up and then away we went. Closely following the 4 day waiting period between new things, no finger foods until 9 months...until June Bug decided he had his own plan.

This kid is just like his mama and a true DIY-er. Unfortunately that also includes diaper and bib removal at inopportune times. But we figured we should take advantage of the little guy's love of self-feeding and go on a date, or the closest thing we're going to get for now.

So we took advantage June Bug's DIY attitude and went out to dinner. Seeing as we live rather far from family, the hubby and I haven't had a  "proper" date since our pre-baby days. And I'm not really sure I'd call this a "real" date, but I'll take what I can get.  So dolled-up in his Sunday finest, secured in his booster seat with a pile of puffs and baby friendly food, June Bug happily chomped away, while Mama Bug and Daddy Bug enjoyed their own meals. Dad even so kindly shared the avocado slices off his veggie burger making June Bug an extra happy baby as he frantically clawed at his favorite green food. The nice but clearly childless waiter tried to give him crayons and a paper place mat, aka another "food" for June Bug to eat. I'm fairly certain crayons are not the most easily digested food.

Organizing his place mat with Mr. Moo
Unfortunately Mama Bug forgot a bib, and baby-led weaning is not the "cleanest" process. How long before June Bug learns to do his own laundry?

No comments:

Post a Comment