I hope my child looks back on today, and remembers a Mum who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking, but children grow up when we are not looking
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, cause babies grow fast, much to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep
(Song for a Fifth Child)

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Order of Operations

I'm a follow-the-rules type of girl. I like structure and organization. Which brings me to my problem:

For 9 years of teaching, I have noticed a worsening trend when it comes to the chronology of "exercise and shower". Since my high schools days there has been a sizable increase in physical activity at the high school level. Unfortunately the amount of showering is directly disproportionate.

I am all about a lot of exercise. I am the crazy 33 week pregnant lady you saw jogging in the rain, 37 weeks dancing in your Zumba class, and 1 week past due hiking up giant hills. Selfishly, my favorite baby-related item, is my BOB. June Bug and I love long walks on the beach and a jog in the rain. But we have never confused what follows: June Bug gets a play date with his pack n' play and Mama Bug gets a shower.

So where did the confusion start?

I'm going to point a finger. That's right Sandra Boynton, I'm pointing at you. I love your books, I think most of them are cute and clever. But when you send your critters down to take a bath in one big tub and brush-and-brush-their teeth...do NOT send them back upstairs to exercise!!!!

It drives me crazy! Worse, it's June Bug's favorite part; must be the Y-chromosome.

I could stop reading the book, but of course June Bug loves it (proven by the giant chunks of missing cardboard that he's gnawed off). I have considering altering the order in which I read the pages, but then it doesn't rhyme, also a problem.

So alas The Going to Bed Book remains in the nightly line-up, but I'm open to suggestion. In the meantime here's a clean June Bug, sadly outgrowing Mama Bugs favorite towel.

At 2 months and 8.5 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment