I hope my child looks back on today, and remembers a Mum who had time to play
There will be years for cleaning and cooking, but children grow up when we are not looking
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, cause babies grow fast, much to our sorrow
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep
(Song for a Fifth Child)

Friday, February 11, 2011

you called me what??!!

Why do people love to hate nicknames?  I know I was not particularly fond of mine for a good 24 years and around the same time I learned a love of cleaning, I also realized I actually **gasp** liked my nickname.

So is a good nickname really hard to find or does it get better with age?

I've been stuck in a perpetual name game for at least 17 months but probably longer. By the time they shipped my semi-truck-sized-8-days-over-due butt to Labor & Delivery my May Bug turned June Bug had 38 potential names, and we knew he was a boy.

How does one actually select a single name from such a ridiculous list? <<insert image of an exhausted, just gave birth after 27 hours of labor mama>> and ask her what her top picks would be.  I didn't receive much argument. For the record, there will be no picture. In fact, don't even use your imagination, just picture me at my best.

And what is the result of narrowing a list of 38 names to one?  38 nicknames.  Poor June Bug probably doesn't even know his real name because he has been called at least three dozen different things from Love Bug, June Bug, Doodle Bug,  to Chunk-a-monk, Monkey, Punky, Tiger... even I can't keep them straight.

I have, however,  caught some grief from numerous people for June Bug. You'd have thought I named him "wicked ugly child of the west." But I was informed that a "real June bug" is some giant ugly scary bug. Aren't all bugs giant, scary, ugly and many other things unless depicted by Disney and Pixar? So,  please erase any terrible images from your mind and enjoy a much cuter June bug baby; he doesn't require extermination and is drawn to water not light.

He does however crawl on all fours and is a Chicago Cubs fan. Some things can't be helped.





No comments:

Post a Comment